Friday, October 26, 2012

Where Would I Be Without Her?


This post will be one of many, which I hope to use to remind me when marriage gets rocky how life would be different without her.  So when those days come and the grass (single life) seems greener I can look back on my blog and say, "Where would I be without her?"  And today has been one of those days that I thank my lucky stars I was fortunate enough to meet her.

For over a year now, my family and I have been living with my grandmother.  A grandmother whose more like a mother to me.  A person who gave me the care and love I needed to direct my life in a positive way.  This past year, she has gone through some rough times.  Being faced with the decision to sell her house, which she has lived in for 50 or so years.  A home that I grew up in.  She struggled through the mixed emotions of losing the house.  It's almost like losing a loved one.  She had to go through the grieving process and when she did we were there and my wife specifically to help her through the selling process.  

Since I had so much history with the house, it's been hard for me to handle the emotions of losing the property and so I've relied on my wife a lot.  Because at times I didn't want to even hear that we were selling.  I wanted to pretend that everything was going to be okay and that maybe some miracle would happen and she wouldn't have to sell.  But sadly, life isn't a Disney cartoon and bad things sometimes happen to good people.   

So today, after months of searching for the right house for my grandma.  And with us about to move in a few weeks.  My wife was able to find the perfect home for her.  A home that was the best she had seen.  Which is saying something because my grandma had been very particular.  I guess when you live in one home for 50 years, you like things a certain way.  

Where would I be without her?  

I'd be stressing out and worrying if my grandma was happy and safe.  I probably wouldn't be able to accept the job in Hilo.  In shorthand, I'd be a mess.             


No comments:

Post a Comment