Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What I Would Say To Myself

Ever since my body weight peaked at 250 lbs I've longed for my high school physique.  With stretch marks decorating my stomach and clothes increasingly shrinking I've realized that I was a smart dummy in high school.  I was smart enough to get A's and B's in class but dumb enough to believe I was a fat whale when I weighed only 150 lbs.   

Why did I feel this way?  Was it because I hung out with the Alpha males of my high school?  Guys who probably had six packs in elementary school.  Or was it because I was fat in elementary through intermediate?  

My early years in public school were filled with encounters with bullies.  I remember being called Shamu as well as other colorful adjectives back then.  Unlike some big boys who may have fought back, I wasn't willing or able to fight, which made me an easy target.       

So what happened in high school?  In one word, "football".  It surrounded me with the alpha males of the school, which kind of buffered me from any bullying.  In addition, it put me in contact with weight lifting, which stopped the 10 lbs I would gain every year.  Then I was blessed to hit a growth spurt that evened out my weight.  So in essence, I grew up.  

But even with my obvious body change, I still felt flabby.  No matter how many crunches I did, I couldn't get a six pack, which to me was a barometer of what made a man sexy.  Which is probably why I was a stuttering fool around girls.  I constantly thought, "What girl would want to be with me?"  Oh, how I wish I could go back in time to slap some sense into me.  

This isn't a high school photo but I am around 185 lbs. Can you imagine what I looked like at 150.    


This is me a few weeks ago. 250 lbs and holding my piglet. Around 7 years later this is what my wife ended up with. Luckily I'm not under warranty.


If I could go back in time, what would I say?            

1.  Stop comparing yourself.  150 lbs doesn't make you overweight.  

Picture Credit:  Vezapost Blog
 
2.  If you're healthy, you're good.  Skinny don't always mean you fit.
    
Picture Credit:  Oddee Blog

3.  Start practicing good eating habits.  You're not going to be playing sports forever.  




4.  Practice yoga.  Flexibility will be your greatest asset when your older.  

Picture Credit:  Suite 707 blog

5.  Get into water sports like surfing so the activities you do on your spare time keep your body physically busy.  


6.  Finally, enjoy the body you have.  You only get one.  

Picture Credit:  Acquired Tastes Blog

       

No comments:

Post a Comment