Monday, August 13, 2012

Olympic Proposition

Duke Kahanamoku at the 1920 Olympic Games

 During this Olympic season I've followed the games closer then I ever had.  No doubt the Viggle incentive has been a great motivator.  The hours spent watching has me begging to ask, "What if?"  So in this post I'm letting my creative juices flow as I imagine if I ruled the world.

What if?

#1  Hawaii was an independent nation

Assuming Hawaiians hadn't intermarried as much and many of the people hadn't died from disease.  Imagine the Hawaiians that Captain Cook met.  I would venture to guess with Hawaii being surrounded by water would do well in most water events, especially swimming and rowing.  In addition, if Lua was still a common practice we'd have competitors in judo, boxing and wrestling.  Finally, if the stories of Kamehameha's strength were true Hawaiians could compete in weightlifting and many of the field events.  With my assumptions in place, I wouldn't be surprised if Hawaii would win at least one medal.  What do you think?  

#2  Mixed Martial Arts was an Olympic event

It would be one of the most watched events in the Olympics.  If you've watched UFC events live or  on television you know this sport naturally breads nationalism.  Who wouldn't want to see the best fighters in the world come together to find out which country has the best hand to hand battlers.  What event would you like to see? 

#3  The Olympics were held in Hawaii

First of all, it would be beneficial for the economy and what athlete wouldn't want to party in Hawaii.  Secondly, the summer weather would be ideal for outdoor athletic competition.  No need to worry about any rain delays.  Finally, we have adequate security with the amount of military stationed in Hawaii.  I can't really think of any down side to having it in the middle of the Pacific.  Where would you like to see the Olympics held?   

No comments:

Post a Comment