Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Simplicity


This past weekend I was able to watch some high school baseball with my family. Our experience was filled with Hawaiian style baseball park food like spam musubi and chili. Surrounded by old timers (most of them were Japanese of course) and parents, which created an atmosphere that blasted me back to simpler times. A period in which playing baseball and hanging out with friends were the only things that mattered. I wasn't worried about finding a job or losing weight or any other crap that gets in the way of enjoying life. That time seemed to be enjoyable because it was simple. I wasn't worried about the future and so the present is what really mattered to me. Alas, when you become an adult, responsibilities don't go away, they just pile up and on top of each other day after day until finally you look up and realize you are way over your head and in quite a precarious position.

So what do I do? I keep it simple. Like my grandpa would always say, "Stick to the basics and everything else will fall into place." Of course he was referring to baseball but as we all know the sport of baseball is a great metaphor for life. As a fielder needs to bend his knees to pick up a ground ball, I need to do the basic, simple things to get my life moving forward again. For instance, opening my mouth and talking story with friends, family and former coworkers can help build a larger network to assist me in finding a suitable job. Something as simple as talking can lead to something, just as bending ones knees can help a player keep the ball from sneaking under his glove.

"Just keep it simple and everything else will fall into place." Thanks for the advice grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment