Friday, March 11, 2011

Got The Message

After a close loss to the Miami Heat, Kobe was filmed shooting baskets after the game was over after everyone, including his teammates seemed to be hanging out in south beach. Probably drinking some colorful drink that is named after a sexual position or organ. Anyway, at first glance, I thought it was pretty cool to see a player put in the time and effort, which reminded me of some late nights I would spend (forced by my grandpa) after games, hitting toss up in the backyard until my hands were numb and the sun went down. However, after the sudden applause by the media, I wondered what was Kobe's motive. Was it to build up his image? After so many years in the league, I think Kobe's image is pretty much solidified in concrete or marble for that matter. Or maybe he just wanted to shoot some baskets after the game to hone his skills? Nah, that seems too simple and again this guy has been in the league for years, I think he has shot enough shots already. Or could it be that Kobe was sending a message to his teammates? If you listen to his interview, you wonder if his actions were a slap in the face to his mates. Maybe he wanted them to wake up and see that they needed to be as hungry as he was. Now if this is the case, will it work or will it give his teammates another reason to loath him and his unsatisfiable desire to win? I guess if you're winning it's easier to swallow.



No comments:

Post a Comment