Sunday, November 22, 2009

For Grandma


After returning from buying two new tires and servicing my car, I turned on the tube to watch the Preliminary fights for UFC 106 on Spike. I was looking forward to seeing how Kendall Grove, a Maui boy and high school friend would do in an important bout that could have been his last at the UFC. I divulge my past friendship because after winning his bout, I was saddened to hear that his grandmother passed away this pat week from cancer. While holding back his emotions, he announced to the world of his loss and dedicated his win to his grandma. In that moment of vulnerability, I recognized my old friend from Maui. Sometimes you forget that professional athletes are human and suffer just as much as all of us. I hope Kendall and his family are doing well and that he is able to cope with his loss. I hope everyone allows him the space he needs to grieve. Good job Kendall, I bet you made your grandmother proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment